Head of Music or Music Teacher – St Mary’s & St John’s CE School
St Mary’s & St John’s CE School
Bennett House, Sunningfields Road, Hendon, NW4 4QR and
Stamford Raffles, Downage, Hendon, NW4 1AB (as required)
Job Title: Head/Teacher of Music
Required: September 2022
Reports to: Head of Performing Arts
Grade: Dependant on experience
We are looking to appoint a dynamic Head of Music or Teacher of Music to develop the excellent standard and culture of music and performance at SMSJ. The successful candidate will be an outstanding practitioner, with the ability to teach across the age and ability range, and driven to ensure that students receive the best possible experience of the subject by bringing creative ideas to the classroom. They will oversee a broad and exciting super-curricular programme that further inspires students and develops their skills beyond the classroom.
The ability to confidently play the piano to a proficient performance standard is highly desirable but specialists in other, or multiple, instruments will be considered.
We are looking for somebody who:
• Is passionate about teaching Music.
• Has the vision to develop a tradition of excellent and ambitious music-making.
• Enjoys working as part of a team and delivers high quality lessons.
• Leads activities beyond the classroom to excite and engage all pupils.
• Is resilient under pressure.
• Is self-reflective and committed to developing as a teacher.
• Has rigorous planning and preparation skills.
• Has the ability to problem-solve and promote positive commitment to learning in and beyond the classroom.
• Will develop opportunities for music to contribute to our Collective Worship programme and overarching Christian vision which nurtures students’ spiritual and personal development.
• Works collaboratively with colleagues and external agencies to provide extensive opportunities for our students, including a comprehensive peripatetic offer, and a diverse range of musical experiences.
What we can offer:
– The opportunity to deliver Music to all Key Stage 3 students in classes as small as 15.
– Exciting prospects to develop our all-through music curriculum from Nursery to Year 13.
– The opportunity to work in a community rooted in Christian values and principles where the dignity of every individual is paramount.
– A high-trust, supportive culture focused on innovation and continuing professional development.
– Access to a confidential coach who will support you to hone your teaching practice.
– Research led attitudes towards teaching and learning including a real focus on exploring new ideas and taking risks.
– A robust secondary phase feedback policy which eliminates the need for hours of unnecessary marking.
– A focus on collaborative working in high performing subject teams.
– A unique opportunity to develop skills and expertise in an all through setting.
– Opportunities for career progression.
– A commitment to improving colleagues working experience through a focus on workload and wellbeing.
– Free nursery wrap around provision for staff members with children at SMSJ.
Who we are:
St Mary’s and St John’s CofE School is an all-through school in Hendon, North London, successfully providing high quality education and academic achievement for children and young people from Nursery to Sixth Form. We are proud to be a diverse, multi-faith, harmonious school, with a distinctive Christian ethos, resolute in the belief that “With God, all things are possible”. In a changing world our values – Wisdom, Service and Hope, define us, strengthen relationships with our parents and children, and provide guiding principles that enable us to deliver academic excellence and promote self-discipline and resilience.
For the right candidate part time and flexible working opportunities may be considered.
Please contact Mrs Orphanou, Personnel Officer S.Orphanou@smsj.london for further information or a confidential discussion.
Applications and supporting statements to be sent to: email@example.com and can be downloaded below
Closing Date for applications: Friday 20th May.
We reserve the right to close the application process early if suitable candidates apply.
The school and governing body are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Each successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check along with other relevant employment checks