Collective worship resources to support Ukraine
‘God sees and God hears the conflict in Ukraine’
Only you know, as teachers and parents, what is the right response to this awful situation for your children or the pupils in your school .
Things you might want to consider:
- The age of your pupils
- If you have any pupils from Eastern Europe, particularly Russia or Ukraine
- Pupils who may have relatives in the areas directly involved
- Pupils who may have left areas of tension and conflict for whom the events in Ukraine will trigger memories Afghanistan, Syria, Hong Kong,
- Pupils who have parents in the armed forces who may be concerned about their parents being deployed to the front line
- Pupils who have recently been bereaved
Peace in Europe Collective Worship from Coventry Diocese.
We thank Coventry Diocese a city bombed many times during World War 2, especially in November 1940 for their resources that we share with permission here.
Resources from Guildford Diocese
In the resource, from Guildford Diocese, you will find three prayer stations that have the theme of war and peace. A suggestion is that rather than making them specifically about Ukraine you leave the label more general so that pupils can reflect on other areas of conflict if they wish to do so.
We are very grateful to Guildford Diocese for kindly sharing with us some high-quality resources to use in collective worship in response to the what is happening in Ukraine right now.
- Those who have become Refuges
- Working for Peace
- Danger, Sadness, Peace
- Prayers for Ukraine Powerpoint
- Prayers for Ukraine Script for Powerpoint
A few useful facts.
- We should call the country Ukraine, not The Ukraine. The Ukraine is what is was called when part of the Soviet Union.
- Kyiv is the Ukrainian spelling, Kiev is the Russian spelling
- The blue and yellow flag represents the wide blue sky and the wheat fields below
- Sunflowers are the national flower of Ukraine
Some useful places for child appropriate information
- One of the best is BBC Newsround https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround the videos and features are constantly being updated. Their Advice If You Are Upset By The News is helpful https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/13865002
War in Ukraine – What Do The Words Mean? Is a useful resource explaining some of the key words used in News programmes. Find it here https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/60536983
- This American website is useful https://newsforkids.net/category/all_news/world/europe/
- Explaining the News to Children from FirstNews.co.uk. Gives 7 key tips on how to explain the news. Discover more here.
- Parentingforfaith Helping Children Process the News
- News for Kids – Real News, Simply Told – can be found here
- EducationHub – Help for teachers and families to talk to pupils about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and how to help them avoid misinformation.
- Picture News – Ukraine Collective Worship Powerpoint
- Collective Worship John Keble School – Powerpoint
- Bible Society – Ukraine Crisis – How Psalm 31 is bringing comfort
- Prayer Space in Schools – Helping Children and Young People to Reflect and Pray
- British Red Cross – Relevant Well being Activities, How to Talk about Conflict and Adult Wellbeing Resources